For the dough
- 250g butter
- 200g sugar
- 2 eggs
- 4 egg yolks
- 250g flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 500g of Penne pas
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp salt (for the water)
- 4 egg whites
- 150g sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 120g almond slivers
- 500ml whipping cream
- 100g confectioner’s sugar
- 150g crème fraiche
- 500g raspberries
For the dough:
- Preheat the oven to 350F
- Begin by creaming sugar and butter in a medium sized bowl.
- Add in the sifted flour and baking powder. Mix well.
- Divide the dough equally into 3 greased pans. (Pan size is 9” by 13” round cake pan) and smooth into an even layer.
- In another bowl, add the egg whites, sugar, and cinnamon. Beat with a mixer until stiff peaks form.
- Divide the meringue evenly between the 3 pans, on top of the dough and smooth out with a spoon.
- Next top each cake pan with 40g of almonds (1/2 cup).
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Once cakes are done, let them cool.
- Beat whipping cream and confectioner’s sugar in a bowl until stiff peaks form.
- Once stiff peaks are formed, gently fold in the raspberries and crème fraiche
- After the cakes are cooled down, you can begin assembling the Himmelstorte.
- Place the first cake on a serving plate, then layer the cake with the cream filling.
- Repeat with the second cake and the remainder of the cream filling.
- Place the last cake layer on top.
Enjoy your Himmelstorte!